Current Openings at System76
System76 is the leading provider of Linux laptops, desktops, and servers. System76 offers health benefits, paid vacation, matching 401k, sabbatical, and an awesome dog-friendly work environment where smart people are free to create.
Senior Mechanical Engineer
// Denver, CO
Ever wanted to engineer a laptop? How about desktops that are optimized to squeeze every watt of performance from their components? Perhaps peripherals that create a holistic OS and hardware UX experience. At System76 we engineer and manufacture open-hardware and open-source software computing products from the hardware to the firmware up through to the operating system.
We’re searching for a Senior Mechanical Engineer with a minimum of 5 years experience designing production products. You’ll own existing and new product development cycles. You’ll work in-factory with rapid turn-around from concept to prototype. Factory capabilities include industrial laser cutting and punching, CNC brakes, etching, milling, and metal and wood finishing. You’ll work hand-in-hand with the production team to take your designs from prototype to production while always seeking opportunities to use your engineering expertise to achieve high yields and consistent, quality results.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Create prototypes to evaluate new design concepts and refine current models
- Regularly update existing models for new CPU, GPU, memory and storage technology
- Participate in product evaluations with engineering team
- Generate protocols for testing/analyzing the product to assist in performance increases
- Maintain and improve technical documents such as engineering prints, bill of materials, and assembly instructions.
- Achieve design objectives of easy serviceability, maximum performance potential, efficient manufacturability, and aesthetic beauty
- Take a prototype design to a fully functional shippable product utilizing in house machine capabilities
- Design fixtures to reduce production time and increase quality and consistency
- Other duties as assigned
Expected Areas of Competence
- At least five years experience engineering production products
- Expert in 3-D modeling CAD software (e.g. Solidworks, Creo, Fusion360)
- Experience with CFD for electronics enclosures
- Ability to effectively work within a cross-functional team to complete critical project tasks during rapid product development cycles
- Ability to run and prioritize multiple small to medium complexity project assignments and complete work in a timely manner from start to finish
- Experience sheet metal design and fabrication
- Experience working with multiple materials (aluminum, carbon fiber, steel, plastics, rubber, etc.)
- CNC milled part design experience
- Basic machine tool experience
- Familiarity with GD&T, DFM
- Bachelors of Mechanical Engineering or similar
System76 is the leading provider of Linux laptops, desktops, and servers. System76 offers health benefits, paid vacation, matching 401k, sabbatical and an awesome work environment where smart people are free to create.
To be considered for this position, send your resume (and links to products you have designed) to email@example.com
You, Ya Beautiful Person
// Denver, CO
If you’re an awesome software engineer, maker, designer, mechanical engineer, do-everything-er, open source nut, genius, and/or passionate Linux user, we may be able to find a fit for you. If that’s intriguing, email your résumé, links to any work you have online, and why we should hire you: firstname.lastname@example.org.